With so many products on the market aimed at a baffling array of skin types, it can be difficult to know if you’re doing the right treatments for your skin and protecting it against premature ageing in the future, or overdoing it with all the wrong products. Luckily, help is at hand – take the skin test below and follow our no-nonsense guide...
What is my skin type?
- Gently wash your face and remove your make-up
- Wait an hour and avoid the urge to touch your face.
- Take some clean tissues and gently blot your skin on the nose, forehead, chin and cheeks – each time checking to see how much oil is present.
- If you have oil in several or all of these areas, you have oily skin.
- If your skin is flaking or looks tight, you have dry skin.
- If you only found oil on your ‘T-zone’ (the nose and forehead), you have combination skin.
- If you had none of the above, then you are in the lucky minority of having normal skin.
Skincare Routine for…
You can blame those overactive sebaceous glands for producing that extra oil you see, but the good news is that women with oily skin tend to age more slowly. Avoid the temptation to over wash your face, as stripping it of all oils will only increase sebum (oil) production further.
- Wash your face twice a day
- Toner is essential
- End with a light, oil-free moisturizer, such as Olay Total Effects Featherweight moisturizer, to nourish skin without clogging pores.
You don’t need us to tell you that dry skin needs moisture.
- Wash your face with a gentle liquid cleanser
- Moisturize every morning and night – ideally within 20 minutes of cleansing your face as this is when your skin will be at its most absorbent. Look for a cream that contains moisture-locking ingredients.
Your skin is equally oily and dry – so how do you cater for both skin types at the same time? This is a very common skin type and products are developed with this conundrum in mind.
- Use a cleanser specifically designed for combination skin to remove make-up without drying out your face
- Use an oil-free moisturizer afterwards to hydrate without clogging pores
Not particularly oily, not especially dry and no real sensitivity issues – you have it fairly easy in the skincare department!
- Simply cleanse, tone and moisturize twice a day.
- Add in an antioxidant rich serum at night before you moisturize. Olay Regenerist Regenerating Microsculpting Serum delivers moisturizing ingredients deep into the skin’s surface and helps renew the skin.
Do you have any tips to share with us? Please add your comments below.