First stop England.
Nothing beats warm buttery scones with morning tea.
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole milk
4 tsp baking powder
½ cup currants
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg yolk, beaten
5 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Mix butter and sugar into flour to form a fine crumble. Press in center, and add milk and currants. Knead together, being careful not to over mix. Dough should be sticky.
- On a generously floured surface, roll out dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut out 2 1/2 inch rounds with a plain pastry cutter. Transfer to prepared pan and brush tops with egg yolk. Allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until risen and lightly golden on top. Remove to a rack to cool.
Serve warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam
Next stop Italy
Smoked Salmon Frittata
A fluffy Italian omelet with all the natural goodness can add a bounce to every mother’s morning.
4 tablespoon olive oil
¼ medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons milk
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons heavy cream
4 ounces pepper smoked salmon
1/2 (8 ounces) package cream cheese, cubed
8 black olives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Heat olive oil in an 8 inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft. Add the salmon and olives; cook to release the flavours.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and cream. Pour over salmon and onion, and stir gently. Scatter cubes of cream cheese over the top. Cook over medium heat without stirring, until the edges start firming up.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until nicely browned and puffed. Flip onto a serving plate and cut into serving portions.
Last stop France
The culinary journey comes to an end as our breakfast train pulls into Crepe station.
Makes 8 crepes
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Slowly add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter and beat until smooth.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Pour the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.
- Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.