Moroccan lamb with apricots, almonds & mint
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 550g cubed lamb
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700ml lamb or chicken stock
- grated zest and juice 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp clear honey
- 175g dried apricots
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 25g ground almonds
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- steamed broccoli and couscous, to serve
- Heat oil in a large casserole dish. Add lamb and cook over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until evenly browned. Stir often. Remove the lamb to a plate and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic to the casserole dish; cook gently for 5 minutes until softened. Add the lamb, stock, orange zest and juice, cinnamon, honey and salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and cook gently for 1 hour.
- Add apricots and two-thirds of the mint. Cook for 30 minutes until lamb is tender. Stir in the ground almonds.
- Serve with broccoli and couscous, garnish with the remaining mint and toasted almonds scattered over the top.
- 2-3 lb lamb shoulder or leg (boneless) or 5-6 lb if bone in
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 3-5 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 2 Tbsp almonds
- Make a spice mixture by combining the cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub mixture over lamb.
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan and sauté the onions and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add lamb and brown on both sides. Once browned, add 2-3 cups of stock – just enough to cover the meat. Bring to the boil then cover pan and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 1 to 1.5 hours, checking every 15 minutes. Add more liquid as necessary. The meat should be cooked through and tender.
- Place raisins into a small bowl & pour over sherry. Grind almonds. 15 minutes before the lamb is cooked – add sherry, almonds & apricots to pan.
- Serve with couscous or white rice.