Turn up the heat on your relationship by cooking up a three-course-meal inspired by the hue of passion.
Sip on this potion to stir the mood
Makes 6 servings
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 slice onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white sugar, or to taste
- In a pot, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and chicken broth and cook over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and let it boil for about 20 minutes to blend all the flavors. Remove from heat and run the mixture through a food processor. Discard any stuff left over in the food mill.
- In the now empty pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour to make a mixture, cooking until the mixture is a medium brown. Slowly whisk in a bit of the tomato mixture, so that no lumps form, then stir in the rest. Season with sugar and salt, and adjust to taste.
Rekindle the flame with this fiery pasta
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup pitted and halved green olives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 3 anchovy filets, rinsed and chopped
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 1 pinch salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 6 1/2 ounces beef/turkey bacon, finely chopped
- Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes until just right; drain.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet and saute the onion until translucent. Add garlic and saute until soft, then the beef or turkey bacon and cook until bubbling.
- Add the capers, mushrooms, olives, hot red pepper, anchovies, salt and ground black pepper.
- Simmer and then add the tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes and add the basil leaves. Then toss in the cooked pasta and sprinkle generously with cheese and parsley. Serve immediately.
Red Velvet Cake
Sweeten up the evening with this heartfelt dessert.
Makes 1 - 8 inch layer cake
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease and flour three 8 inch round pans.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, and eggs. Add food coloring and vinegar to buttermilk. Stir in baking soda to flour. Then add flour mixture and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the sugar mixture. Mix well. Add 1-teaspoon vanilla into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done. Remove from oven and cool.
- Mix together cream cheese, butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, 1-teaspoon vanilla. Stir in nuts. Frost cooled cake.