Bake it before your guests arrive and, before serving, place back in the oven for 5-8 minutes until it is puffed out again and warm.
Ingredients (serves 8 people)
1. 200g baby spinach
2. 125g (135ml) butter
3. 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4. 125g (220ml) cake flour
5.1 litre milk
6.100g Gruyère cheese, finely grated
7.Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8.5 eggs, separated
- Bring a pot with water to a boil. Add spinach all at once. Drain after 1 minute. Place soft spinach in a food processor and finely chop.
- Melt butter over moderate heat in a large pot. Add garlic and fry for 1 minute. Stir flour in. Add milk all at once and whisk well until everything is mixed and the lumps have dissolved.
- Leave to simmer over low heat and whisk slowly while the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir cheese in until melted. Add spinach and mix well. Season well with salt and black pepper. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 180°C. Fold egg yolks into mixture. Whisk egg whites into soft points and fold carefully into the cheese mixture.