You have those days when life smiles on you, but there are also days when everything seems to go against you... How do you manage to cope with such setbacks? Here are some practical tips to promote positive feelings:
- Happiness goes hand-in-hand with sadness. You can't have any ups without some downs. It is impossible to always be positive about your family relationships and friendships.
- A bit of self-reflection can't hurt. Be critical. The bad habits or characteristics from others that drive you crazy may be more reflective of you than of others. Maybe they are stingy with their money but are you stingy with your time?
- Don't be afraid to ask. This is a simple process that can change your life. Ask explicitly for what you want, whether it is recognition, affection, a promotion, help or just some time for yourself. You cannot expect others to know what you want or what you need.
- Live in the here and now. Don’t worry about what could possibly happen in the future. Choose an action or task you can do today that will give you more control over your life. It can be something small, like washing the car or cleaning your wardrobe. Choose anything that can be easily done and will give you a satisfied, productive feeling.
- Be grateful. Take a moment each day to have a good look around and reflect on all the things you have to be grateful for - the sun, the beautiful flowers, that delicious cup of coffee you just drank...
- Ignore guilty feelings. It might sound crazy but ask yourself whether you are your own worst enemy. Are you truly convinced that you deserve to be happy? Ditch those negative feelings and enjoy being positive.
- Do something nice for someone else. Research shows that the nicer you are to the world around you, the nicer the world is to you. So, make someone's day.
Or try these three quicker solutions:
- Buy flowers. Research shows that those who are not morning people, feel considerably happier and more energetic if they have looked at beautiful flowers after waking up.
- Sports. The physical benefits are obvious, but what is the mental effect? Sports can boost your self-confidence, improve your immune system and enhance brain activity.
- Be inspired. Watch a feel-good film that motivates you to think positively.
Opt for more energy and…
- Think about where your energy comes from and what drains your energy.
- Stay positive. Practice stifling negative thoughts, so that you start to feel more energetic.
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Try not to cram everything into one day. Sleep is not a waste of your time; it is a necessity.
- Leave your curtains open at night, once in a while. Research shows that waking up with natural light gives you more energy, while an alarm clock wakes you up feeling more stressed.
- Do not start your day with work. Check out a funny or interesting blog instead.
- Eat yogurt or take probiotics. These are important for your immune system and increase your ability to absorb nutrients from food.
- Do not run away from a difficult conversation. An unfinished conversation drains energy. Be honest and air your feelings.