UAE – Dubai, March 20, 2012: According to a *survey conducted by Oral-B and Crest, 62% of respondents from UAE reported bleeding gums, making it one of the top 3 concerns after bad breath and sensitivity. In light of these findings, Crest is calling for consumers to be more aware about gum problems by revealing the causes and how to reverse the concern in four weeks.
Many adults believe that they are already doing everything they can to protect their mouths and do not realize that red gums or minor bleeding during brushing or flossing can be a sign of gum problems.
Commenting on these findings Dr. Essa Nabeel Al-Essa, Regional Oral-B and Crest Expert explains: “Gum problems are caused by plaque bacteria at the gum line that can cause gums to swell. When left untreated, it can lead to a more serious form of gum problems, known as periodontitis, an infection in the ligaments and bones that support the teeth. Periodontitis, if left untreated, can be a major cause of tooth loss in adults.”
Dr. Essa adds, “until now, gum protection toothpastes had mainly offered brief pain numbing benefits.”
Following 12 years of development, 15 registered patents, 70 clinical studies, involving more than 100 researchers, and more than 1000 clinical tests, Crest is proud to introduce - Pro-Expert Clinic Line Gum Protection.
The new, advanced formula provides Crest’s highest level of protection against the plaque bacteria that can cause gum problems and with regular use is clinically proven to reverse in just four weeks. The technology is being recommended by dentists not only as the solution for reversing the issue, but also as a preventive measure.
Just like other Crest’s Pro-Expert toothpastes, Blend-a-med Pro-Expert Clinic Line Gum Protection protects against all the areas dentists check most: cavities, plaque, tartar, sensitivity, stains, enamel erosion and fresh breath.
A complete oral care regime
Complementing the toothpaste with the right toothbrush, mouth-wash and floss will maximise good oral health so that sensitivity problems can be prevented as part of a daily oral care regime. The Pro-Expert Clinic Line Gum Protection system from Crest is a complete programme designed to prevent gum problems.
The Cline Line Gum Protection product line includes:
- Blend-a-med Pro-Expert Clinic Line Gum Protection Toothpaste: Is clinically proven to reverse and help prevent gum problems , eliminate plaque at the gum line, while also inhibiting gum problem causing bacteria in the mouth.
- Oral-B® Glide™ Pro-Expert® Clinic Line Protection ™ Floss: Infused with blend-a-med’s highest level of special flavour ingredients to deliver a strong, fresh mint sensation during and after use. The flossing action helps reverse gum problems in two weeks as part of a complete dental program.
P&G, the maker of Crest, has a long history of leading innovation in oral care. Fluoride-based toothpaste was first launched by blend-a-med in 1956 and has been a key ingredient in most toothpastes since. Fluoride protects the enamel and can re-mineralise weakened areas. P&G has since the invention of Fluoride toothpaste been working hard to stabilise the next generation of fluoride compounds – the Stannous Complex.
*In a survey conducted on a sample of 500 UAE residents between the age-group of 18 – 35
About Procter & Gamble
Four billion times a day, P&G brands touch the lives of people around the world. The company has one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Pampers®, Tide®, Ariel®, Always®, Whisper®, Pantene®, Mach3®, Bounty®, Dawn®, Gain®, Pringles®, Charmin®, Downy®, Lenor®, Iams®, Crest®, Oral-B®, Duracell®, Olay®, Head & Shoulders®, Wella®, Gillette®, Braun® and Fusion®. The P&G community includes approximately 127,000 employees working in about 80 countries worldwide. Please visit http://www.pg.com for the latest news and in-depth information about P&G and its brands.
Notes to editors
Key Findings - UAE
- 50% named cost as the biggest barrier for not visiting the dentist
- 41% of people visit the dentist once a year
- Only 51% of people see dentists as advisors for oral issues
- 45% sought dental advice from sources other than a dentist
- 34% brush their teeth twice once a day
- 65% of people brushed their teeth for a minute or less
- 44% brush 2 times a day
- 49% suffer from pain or discomfort in their teeth when chewing
- 45% of people said they had up to 4 cavities
- Key dental issues cited:
- bad breath 81%,
- Sensitivity: 69%
- Bleeding Gums: 62%
- 70% snack on sugary foods at least once a day
- 50% claimed to be either a regular or occasional smoker
- 88% drink fizzy drinks on a daily basis